• Aug. 17, 2014: Immigration could surface in Nebraska gov. race
• Aug. 1, 2014: 3 months before election, Ricketts, Hassebrook spar over debates
• June 29, 2014: Immigration could be defining issue in Nebraska governor race
• June 16, 2014: Nebraska governor candidates spar as minimum wage becomes key issue
Age: 49 Home: Omaha Party: Republican Occupation: Investor; part owner of Chicago Cubs baseball team; former TD Ameritrade executive Public offices held: None Education: Bachelor’s degree and MBA, University of Chicago Family: Married; three children Faith: Catholic
Ricketts is looking for a little political redemption. After a failed 2006 race for U.S. Senate against then-Democratic U.S. Sen. Ben Nelson, Ricketts hopes to make a better second impression with voters. A former executive with TD Ameritrade, Ricketts is running as the business candidate who believes in the free market. He promises to oppose and reduce regulations that he says stifle the growth of businesses and jobs. He also promises to use his experience to bring more efficiency to state government, which would allow lower taxes.
Candidate stories• Sept. 9, 2014: Lt. Gov. Lavon Heidemann resigns, withdraws as Pete Ricketts' running mate • June 23, 2014: Pete Ricketts gets backing of Nebraska Farm Bureau • June 16, 2014: Nebraska Cattlemen Association endorses Ricketts for governor • June 2, 2014: Pete Ricketts’ choice for No. 2 job, Lavon Heidemann, brings ag, government experience to GOP ticket • May 30, 2014: Video: Pete Ricketts on 'The Bottom Line' • May 28, 2014: Pete Ricketts rejects Chuck Hassebrook's effort to limit negative TV ads in Nebraska governor's race • May 7, 2014: Rep. Paul Ryan backs Ricketts in Nebraska race for governor • April 22, 2014: Ted Cruz backs Pete Ricketts' campaign for governor • April 4, 2014: Sarah Palin endorses Pete Ricketts in governor's race • Nov. 1, 2013: 2 candidates, 2 gay siblings, 2 reactions • Sept. 8, 2013: Walloped in 2006, Pete Ricketts alters campaign strategy
Age: 58 Home: Lyons Party: Democrat Occupation: Former executive director of Center for Rural Affairs Public offices held: University of Nebraska Board of Regents, 1995-2013 Education: Bachelor’s degree, University of Nebraska-Lincoln Family: Married; two children Faith: Lutheran
Hassebrook hopes his rural roots will help put a Democrat in the Nebraska governor’s office for the first time since 1999. The longtime executive director of the Center for Rural Affairs, Hassebrook spent decades advocating for small family farms and rural economic development. He also spent 18 years on the University of Nebraska Board of Regents. Hassebrook’s campaign is built around populism as he vows to make middle-income Nebraskans a priority.
• Sept. 10, 2014: Hassebrook rips Ricketts for trying to swap running mates after deadline
• Sept. 1, 2014: Chuck Hassebrook says Pete Ricketts, family behind negative Republican Governors Association ad
• Aug. 15, 2014: If governor, Hassebrook says, he'd first change Nebraska's 'good time' policy for inmates
• Aug. 2, 2014: Warren Buffett's $100K donation to Chuck Hassebrook is believed to be his largest single contribution to a candidate
• Aug. 2, 2014: Chuck Hassebrook says 'it's time' for Nebraska to make a change
• June 11, 2014: Video: Governor candidate Chuck Hassebrook on 'The Bottom Line'
• Nov. 7, 2013: Chuck Hassebrook gets Planned Parenthood group's endorsement in governor's race