Minnesota 13
Nebraska 0

Nov. 3, 1906 • Northrop Field, Minneapolis

Cornhuskers Lose Fine Game to Minnesota

Minneapolis, Minn., Nov. 8—Minnesota's sturdy football team sent Nebraska's football warriors away from Northrop filed this afternoon with a score of 13 to 0 against them.

A touchdown by Ittner and two field goals by Bobby Marshall caused the score. It was not as easily bought victory by any means, for the Nebraskans fought stubbornly and aggressively, and had fortune smiled a little more sweetly on certain occasions the Cornhuskers would have scored not only one, but two touchdowns.

The first five minutes of play caused fear in every Minnesota heart. The Nebraskans played whirlwind ball. They ran all over and all around their big opponents. From the kick-off, which landed near their own goal, the Cornhuskers rushed the ball for long gains. The left end, with Ittner on guard, was entirely to their liking, and the manner in which Weller and his mates made ground around that end of the line carried dismay and terror through the entire audience, while the small bunch of Nebraska rooters were delirious with joy. Not until the Minnesota twenty-yard line had been reached were the Gophers able to stop the onrushing tide, which was about to engulf them, but they held, while 9,000 spectators held their breath in anxiety. It was the crucial point of the game and the Gophers were equal to the emergency. The onward rush was stayed and in a few moments the pigskin was booted into Nebraska territory and everybody breathed a big sigh of relief over the miraculous escape.

Cornhuskers Held Well

After that the Nebraskans were not particularly dangerous. Nevertheless they played a dogged game on offense. Time after time the Minnesotans had the ball within scoring distance of the goal only to be held, and then, sent in retreat. Minnesota resorted to place kicks, using Marshall with Larkin holding the ball, but these availed nothing. The Gophers used only a small number of plays, not over six or seven and totally ignoring the revised rules, confined themselves to the old game. It was smash and plunge at the line all the time. End runs were unknown, likewise forward passes and quarterback kicks. The Nebraskans on the contrary showed a more versatile style of attack. They tried almost everything on the list except place kicks, but with varying success. After their remarkable exhibition of carrying the ball at the opening of the half their brilliant offense disappeared. Minnesota gauged their best plays and stopped them. At the same time they could not score. There seemed to be no difficulty in finding holes in the Nebraska line when the ball was mid-field, but when Nebraska had to hold it the stonewall was right there and rigid as the rock of Gibraltar.

The half ended with no score on either side and honors at least even. There was much hope in the small Nebraska camp for the team, with Weller, Little, Cooke and Mason in the back field showing splendid and dangerous speed. On running the visitors excelled their opponents and all Minnesota realized that if one of those fast men ever got clear it would be all day with the vaunted Gophers.

Second Half

The second half started off with kick to the Minnesota five yard line. The ball was carried into Nebraska territory by the usual Minnesota play Larkin punted to Nebraska's eight yard line. On the next play Johnson fumbled and lost the ball. Minnesota could not gain, however, and Marshall tried a place kick, which was nearly a good one, but not quite. The ball changed hands several times without any material features. Minnesota proved fairly strong and worked the ball down to within twenty-five yards of the coveted goal. Then began a series of the fiercest plays of the game. Twice the Cornhuskers held within a yard of the line, but finally Ittner was crowded barely over for a touchdown. Marshall failed at goal. Minnesota then played a livelier game, but without material results. Taylor was seriously hurt and had to give way to Chaloupka. Eventually Minnesota go within striking distance and Marshall essayed another field goal, but it fell short. Getting the ball a few moments later almost directly in front of the goal, Marshall dropped the ball easily between the posts and the second score of the game.

After Nebraska had secured the ball they made the most spectacular play of the game with a quarter back run which netted sixty-five yards. Johnson blocked the fleet. Marshall and Cooked dodged Larkin, a touchdown seemed certain, but Scoucknecht by a magnificent run overhauled Cooke and downed him on the ten yard line. Minnesota played a fierce game and several Nebraska players were laid out, notably Schmide and Wilkie who were obliged to retire to the side lines. Minnesota was not to be denied another score, however. Another kick from placement was made for the third score of the game and also the last. Toward the last there was not a little fumbling on both sides. Nebraska's attempts at forward passes were spectacular, but not valuable, in fact the team lost distance more than once. When the half ended the ball was in the middle of the field.

Coach Stagg of Chicago who was an interested spectator declared the game a fine example of football. He complimented the visitors on their speed and diversified play. He said also that the Gophers were fast as a team and individually than he had expected and predicted a great game at Chicago next Saturday for the championship of the west.


More coverage

World-Herald post-game coverage (PDF)

Series history

Nebraska is 25-32 all-time against Minnesota.

See all games »

1906 season (6-4)

Hastings Sept. 29
South Dakota Oct. 6
Drake Oct. 13
Iowa State Oct. 20
Doane Oct. 27
Minnesota Nov. 3
Creighton Nov. 10
Kansas Nov. 17
Chicago Nov. 24
Cincinnati Nov. 29

This day in history

Nebraska has played 15 games on Nov. 3. See them all »

©2019 BH Media Group