Nebraska 14
Kansas 7

Oct. 31, 1942

Long, Zik Boost U.N. to 14-7 Win

Reserve Roy, Ailing Al Combine with Eisenhart to Stave Off Kansans

Memorial Stadium, Lawrence, Kans., Oct. 31— In the last 13 or 14 minutes of their forty-ninth meeting the Cornhuskers and Jayhawks this sunny, showery afternoon compressed some football playing that would have delighted a gathering far greater than the 5,187 who looked on.

The Cornhuskers won, 14 to 7, as they have won on this the play yard beside Mount Oread since 1896, but to do so they had to call upon an understudy back, who had watched from the bench most of the season, and an uninjured lugger whom Glenn Presnell had hoped to rest.

Roy Long and Allen Zikmund supplied the speed which, couples with Kirwin Eisenhart’s rugged ramming, produced the necessary points.

For 46 minutes the proceedings dragged along pretty dismally with Kansas supplying the few bright moments through Ray Evans’ prodigious passing, and threatening seriously once through the same spectacular medium. Then, with the final period very new, Hoyt Baker, Gwinn Henry’s sophomore quarterback, fumbled and Bobby Cooper recovered on Nebraska’s 44.

From there the Huskers began their Long-Zikmund-Eisenhart powered assault which paid off
in 10 plays. Reverse and inside tackle smashes shot the two Husker white-heads forward for steady gains. These were interspersed with Eisenhart’s rammings.

Once Long passed to Zikmund, who fielded the ball on the run and made a total advance of 17 yards. On a reverse Zikmund sprinted 16 more and then only 12 more were needed.

Long and Eisenhart supplied them, Eisenhart leaping over middle for the last critical two feet.

Vic Schleich kicked the extra point, and 10 minutes were left. Nine and a half minutes were left when Kansas had tied the count.

On the first play after the kickoff, Marvelous Master Evans faded back from his 35 and threw far down the field to Gene Roberts, a hasty youngster who has had to be used tenderly all season due to injuries. Gwinn Henry saved him this afternoon for just such a tight moment as this.

Gene looked over his shoulder to make the catch on the Husker 36, and while continuing his goalward sprint, juggled the ball. The homecoming Kansas and Kansas Eds and coeds loosed a shrill, whistling gasp.

Gene finally got possession, darted past the aforementioned Roy Long and kept going as long
as necessary. Evans in person made the tying point by catching a lateral from Baker and sweeping right end, while the Huskers waited for a place kick.

Then the Jayhawks kicked off and not until the Huskers had scored the winning points did they get hold of the ball.

Fred Metheny caught Evans’ boot on his 10, reversed to Zikmund and Zik loped 21 yards up the sidelines to his 31 before tacklers closed in and spilled him. This time it took a dozen plays to cover the 69 intervening yards. The same threesome did the lugging. The most impressive bit was Long’s 25-yard gallop on a double reverse which netted a first down on the Kansas 34.

An offside penalty delayed the profit-taking by setting the scrimmage line back from the nine to the 14, but on the very next play Zikmund made back the loss and three more yards to boot. Long followed with a smash inside left tackle that proved enough.

Schleich kicked the fourteenth point and then kicked off out of bounds.

Then Master Evans was loose again. With time ticking fast away he pitched the battle line forward from his 30, whence an offside had placed it, 65 yards to the Nebraska five. There, on a first-down play, Baker fumbled and the whole Husker line dived for the ball. Joe Byler got to it first, and after Metheny tried three sneaks the game was over.

Once again Evans was a hero in defeat. He threw 19 times. Twelve times mates whom he intended made the catches. Only once did a Nebraskan intercept. Evans’ work netted about 206 yards for Kansas. Everything the Huskers did netted them about 204.

The Huskers set their defenses to stop this thrust from the air, and the score says they were successful enough. But their five-man line enabled Baker to run and Ed Linquist to plunge in a manner that was hardly anticipated by the Husker war council.

Because their running attack did pretty well against their pass-wary rivals, the Jayhawks perpetrated all the threatening during the first three periods. Once, just after the first change of goals they progressed 57 yards to the Husker 14, where Baker missed Evans’ fourth-down pass.

Until they began their first touchdown drive, the Huskers were pretty dull and sluggish when they had the ball. This was partly due to the fine line play of Jayhawk Ends Otto Schnellbacher and Paul Hardman and Tackles Don Johnson and Warren Hodges. Only Eisenhart could push the yards behind him. The K.U. guards just weren’t up to the lads beside them and Eisenhart was running his best of the autumn.

But on the rare occasions during the first 40 minutes when the Huskers were confronted by mild opportunity, they forgot about Eisenhart’s successful midfield battering and resorted to passes that failed.

Not until Prof. Presnell shooed in Long and the ailing Zikmund was there generalship of the sort that capitalized on strength.

More coverage

World-Herald post-game coverage (PDF)

Series history

Nebraska is 91-23 all-time against Kansas.

See all games »

1942 season (3-7)

Iowa Sept. 26
Iowa State Oct. 3
Indiana Oct. 10
Minnesota Oct. 17
Oklahoma Oct. 24
Kansas Oct. 31
Missouri Nov. 7
Pittsburgh Nov. 14
Iowa Pre-Flight Nov. 21
Kansas State Nov. 28

This day in history

Nebraska has played 20 games on Oct. 31. See them all »

©2019 BH Media Group