Kansas State 23
Nebraska 6

Oct. 11, 1958 • Memorial Stadium, Lincoln

Hard-Driving K-State Batters Huskers, 23-6

Nebraska's Carroll Zaruba rips off a 30-yard run. JOHN SAVAGE/THE WORLD-HERALD

LINCOLN — The prophecy of Nebraska football doom, written a week earlier in the statistics of the Iowa State game, came true Saturday as Kansas State ran up a 23-6 victory.

A Band Day throng of 39 thousand was impressed by the visitors’ hard running, hard blocking and hard tackling.

The same fans were impressed by Nebraska’s ineffective play, which was compounded by a string of injuries.

From the moment they took the opening kick-off and rammed 80 yards for a touchdown until they swarmed onto quarterback Roy Stinnett for a five-yard loss on the final play, coach Bus Mertes’s Kansans were in command.

Straight to His Arms

Nebraska’s touchdown carried a bargain label.

It came early in the third quarter with K-State toting a 13-0 lead. Running from his own 18 on first down after a punt, fullback Terry Lee fumbled when hit by guard LeRoy Zentic.

The ball squirted into the arms of linebacker Dick McCashland, who was facing the enemy end zone.

McCashland tucked the ball away on the 22 and picked up speed. He bumped into Les Krull, puzzled K-State quarterback, but kept his bearings and churned to the end zone.

Optimists still could hope for at least a tie after Carroll Zaruba’s kick for extra point was wide.

Grosse Kicks Field Goal

That hope was smothered a few minutes later.

Kansas State drove 50 yards in seven plays, with Lee’s slick gallop for 22 yards putting the ball on the Scarlet 10.

Two plays earned five yards. On third-and-five, Don Fricke, McCashland and Dick Kosier rode Krull out of bounds for a loss of three.

On fourth down, Ben Grosse, kicking from the 15, hiked the score to 16-6 with a field goal.

Nebraska’s placement artist, George Harshman, was no longer around to challenge the Wildcat dependable. Ironically, he had been sidelined by a collision with Grosse.

The injury occurred on the play that brought K-State’s initial touchdown.

Halfbacks Max Falk and Grosse accounted for all but eight of the 80 yards the visitors traveled after the opening kick-off.

The big chunk was a 30-yarder by Grosse, who finally was run out on the Nebraska 25 by halfback Larry Naviaux and guard Dennis Emanuel.

Again it was Grosse wh ocarried after K-State reached the 10.

The senior from Jamestown, Kan., crashed into Harshman at the goal line and tumbled over him into the end zone. Almost kayoed by the impact, Harshman left with a ringing head and never returned to the lineup.

Grosse’s conversion made it 7-0 with 5:09 elapsed.

Later in the first period, Nebraska staged its best march, a 65-yard effort that featured a 30-yard run by fullback Zaruba and a 10-yard sprint by Max Martz that was cut short when a knee buckled.

Penalties Stall Offense

The march also included penalties for offside, illegal receiver downfield and illegal motion as the Cornhuskers tossed wrenches into their own offense for the second straight week.

They lost the ball on downs on the Kansas State three.

A bad pass form center on a Nebraska punt play hurried the Wildcats onto center stage for the second touchdown.

Nebraska was forced to punt with fourth down on its 44 late in the second period.

Kicker Stinnett leaped high but couldn’t grab the ball, the white-shirted foe storming him under the 19.

Price Steps Over

Halfback George Whitney grained four, then lost two as Kosier charged into the secondary on a fine defensive maneuver.

Quarterback Kent McConnell, a pigskin-rifler from Dodge City, fired to towering Ced Price on third down. The six-foot-six sophomore end from Fort Worth, Texas, made the reception on the four, spun away from Martz and Zaruba and long-legged it over the goal line.

A bonus conversion pass, Johnny Solmos to Price, was no good.

After the score had reached 16-6 in the second half, Kansas State knocked twice and entered once.

Stopped at NU Two

A 10-yard punt by Harry Tolly gave the Wildcats possession on their 45 on the third play of the final period. They advanced to the Nebraska two but gave up the ball when Krull’s flip to end Joe Vader overshot the end zone.

Nebraska ground its way up to the 25 with time-consuming line thrusts.

“Open-up,” cried a partisan in the press box.

On the next play, Tolly’s hurried pass was intercepted by Krull and returned to the Nebraska 16.

Whitney, a 10-second sprinter, took a pitch-out two plays later, skirted his left end, muscled past four or five Cornhuskers and racked up touchdown No. 3 for the winners.

Only Two Passes Good

Price’s conversion made it 23-6 as Kansas State posted its third consecutive victory in Lincoln and fourth over the Huskers in six years.

Nebraska completed only two of six passes but they were among the more interesting plays of the day.

Stinnett pitched to end Mike Eger late in the first half. The husky sophomore wingman, chased out of bounds by Grosse after an eight-yard gain, wound up standing on the K-State bench.

Tolly picked up 13 yards on a flip to halfback Pat Fischer in the third period. Fischer made a jumping, fall-away catch and landed heavily.

White Picks Up 59

His bruised shoulder re-injured, Fischer was through for the day.

One of the few treats for Husker rooters was the running of halfback Clay White, a 5-9 sophomore from Toledo, Ohio. He netted 59 yards in 12 carries for a 4.9 average.

Grosse paced the victors with eight carries and an 8.5 average. He is a senior — and none too soon.


More coverage

World-Herald post-game coverage (PDF)

Series history

Nebraska is 78-15 all-time against Kansas State.

See all games »

1958 season (3-7)

Penn State Sept. 20
Purdue Sept. 27
Iowa State Oct. 4
Kansas State Oct. 11
Syracuse Oct. 18
Colorado Oct. 25
Missouri Nov. 1
Kansas Nov. 8
Pittsburgh Nov. 15
Oklahoma Nov. 22

This day in history

Nebraska has played 17 games on Oct. 11. See them all »

©2019 BH Media Group